HOW TO STYLE A PLEATED SKIRT: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE
Knowing how to wear a pleated skirt can elevate your fashion game to new heights. This classic piece, with its flowing lines and versatile nature, can transition from daytime looks to evening elegance with ease.
Whether you’re aiming for casual chic, office sophistication, or date-night glamour, mastering the art of pairing a pleated skirt ensures you’re always on-trend. In this guide, we delve deep into the world of pleated skirts, offering style ideas and tips for every occasion and body type.
Inside today’s post, we are covering the following topics. Feel free to use the links below to navigate the post:
- Why pleated skirts are a must-have
- Pleated skirt style tips
- Perfect pairings: tops to wear with pleated skirts
- Styling tips for different lengths and body types
- Pleated skirts: a rainbow of choices
- Shoes to pair with pleated skirts
- Pleated skirts under $100
OUTFIT DETAILS: Pleated Skirt (similar pleated skirt – available in 5 colors) || Sweater (available in 8 colors) || Plaid Coat (30 similar plaid coats here) || Boots (similar styles) || Reversabile Belt
WHY PLEATED SKIRTS ARE A MUST-HAVE
The best thing about a pleated skirt is its versatility. Here’s why we advocate for this piece:
- Suitable for women of all ages and all body shapes.
- Offers a beautiful silhouette, especially for those with an hourglass figure.
- Ranges from the long pleated skirt for a more formal look to the pleated mini for a casual day out.
- Available in various styles, from accordion pleats to knife pleats and box pleats.
PLEATED SKIRT STYLE TIPS
As always, we always recommend wearing pieces that make you feel great. But, you cannot go wrong with a beautiful pleated skirt. Here are just a few of our style tips:
When styling a pleated skirt with a longer length such as a pleated midi skirt or pleated maxi skirt, we love pairing with heels, ankle boots, or knee-high boots to add length.
Accordion pleats will give you a sexy librarian look and feel while still feeling really put together. Accordion pleats have long, vertical lines running through them. These tend to be fuller through the hips. If you have an hourglass figure you want to accentuate, go for accordion pleats.
Additionally, a drop-waist pleat (when pleats begin below the top of the skirt) gives more of a preppy vibe but allows you to make it your own in the styling.
And, of course, we can’t get enough of the daring pleated miniskirt or tennis skirt style for every season.
One of our favorite ways to style a pleated skirt is to add a belt to cinch in the waist. Even if we are styling the skirt with an oversized sweater or turtleneck for fall or winter, adding a belt helps the look feel really pulled together. Both skinny and thicker-style belts look great.
Looking to style a mini pleated skirt? Play with proportions to keep your look fashionable and elevated. Tall boots and a long trench coat or wool coat will do just the trick in balancing out your miniskirt of choice.
If you are looking to wear your pleated mini skirt more casually, we recommend white sneakers and an oversized sweater for a chic street style look.
PERFECT PAIRINGS: TOPS TO WEAR WITH PLEATED SKIRTS
The Casual Route
Achieving that effortless street style look is easier than you think. Pair your pleated skirt with a simple t-shirt, preferably a white t-shirt for a clean, fresh look. Layer with a denim jacket for those chilly days or to add some edge. Finish off with a pair of sneakers – white ones for that clean look or chunky sneakers for a touch of grunge.
The Chic Office Wear
For an office wear staple, the pleated midi skirt shines. Team it with a button-down shirt or a structured shirt. If you’re going for a more conservative look, opt for neutral colors. However, if you’re feeling a bit daring, a black pleated skirt paired with a bright color top will make you stand out. Don’t forget to wear high heels for that added touch of elegance.
The Date Night Look
For that special date night, transform your pleated-skirt outfit with a lace top. To elevate the look, consider metallic pleated skirts paired with a black top. Complete the ensemble with a pair of strappy heels.
Oversized and Understated
The oversized sweater and pleated skirt combo has taken recent months by storm. It’s an easy outfit that screams style without trying too hard. Perfect for the colder months, this combination is both cozy and chic. Add knee-high boots and you’re good to go.
HOW TO STYLE A PLEATED SKIRT FOR DIFFERENT LENGTHS AND BODY TYPES
- The Long Skirt: When styling a long pleated skirt, consider balancing proportions. If the skirt is a solid color, introduce a printed or polka dot top. If it’s a winter season, an oversized coat gives a sophisticated touch.
- Midi Magic: The pleated midi skirt is a great option for almost all body shapes. For those with an hourglass or curvy shape, accordion pleats highlight the waist and give volume.
- Maxi Skirts: Maxi skirts are a great choice for taller individuals or when you’re looking for an elongated look. Paired with a neutral top, it’s one of our favorite ways to create an elegant look.
- Mini and Daring: Mini skirts are playful and can be dressed in different ways. Wear it with a black leather jacket for some edge or a simple top for an effortless look.
PLEATED SKIRTS: A RAINBOW OF CHOICES
From solid tops to bright hues, the best way to style your pleated skirt often depends on its color:
- Black and White: A black pleated skirt can be teamed with almost any top, but a classic white shirt is timeless. On the flip side, a white skirt with a simple sweater or black top creates a stunning contrast.
- Bright and Bold: For those skirts in brighter hues, neutralize with a neutral top or go monochromatic for a bold statement.
- Patterns and Prints: If you’ve invested in a skirt with prints, the easiest way to style it is with a solid color top.
THE FOOTWEAR GAME: SHOES TO PAIR WITH PLEATED SKIRTS
- Sporty Look: For a more casual look, opt for white sneakers. It’s an easy way to add a dash of youthfulness.
- Edgy and Daring: A black leather jacket paired with your pleated skirt and ankle boots can transform your look instantly.
- Classic Elegance: For those special occasions or office days, high heels are always the best option.
OUTFIT DETAILS: Pleated Skirt (similar pleated skirt – available in 5 colors) || Sweater (available in 8 colors) Heels || Belt
OTHER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you wear a pleated skirt over 50?
How to style a pleated skirt becomes even more elegant and refined as we embrace our age. For women over 50, the key is to balance modern trends with timeless classics. Opt for a pleated midi skirt paired with a simple top, like a classic white shirt or structured shirt, which gives an air of sophistication. Layer with a denim jacket or oversized coat during colder months.
High heels or knee-high boots can elongate the silhouette, while a pair of sneakers offers a casual and trendy touch. Don’t shy away from prints, either: polka dots, stripes, or even florals can add vibrancy to your look. Neutral colors work best, but don’t be afraid to incorporate a bright color as a statement piece.
Should you fold or hang pleated skirts?
When considering how to style a pleated skirt, it’s essential to also consider how to maintain its crisp pleats and structure. Generally, it’s best to hang pleated skirts to ensure they retain their shape. Using a clip hanger from the waistband or hem, hang them in an area with good airflow to prevent any moisture buildup. If you’re traveling or short on closet space, fold them with care by aligning the pleats, but always ensure to give them a good shake and possibly a steam upon wearing them again.
Can you wear a pleated skirt with a tummy?
Absolutely! When figuring out how to style a pleated skirt, it’s important to remember that they’re flattering for all body types. For those with a tummy, pleated skirts can be an excellent choice due to their forgiving nature.
Opt for a high-waisted pleated skirt that sits at the narrowest part of your waist. This creates a beautiful silhouette that flows outward, providing comfort and style. Pairing with an oversized sweater or simple t-shirt tucked in just at the front can give an effortless look. Also, using a wide belt can help define the waist further, ensuring an hourglass figure.
Who should wear a pleated skirt?
The best thing about learning how to style a pleated skirt is discovering their universality. Pleated skirts are suitable for women of all ages, body shapes, and styles. Whether you have an hourglass figure, a more straight body shape, or any other body type, there’s a pleated skirt look for you.
They come in different lengths – from mini to maxi – and can be styled in various ways to suit different occasions, from office wear to casual outings. The key is to choose a skirt length and style that you feel most comfortable and confident in and to pair it with complementary pieces that align with your personal style.
PLEATED SKIRTS UNDER $100
Investing in a pleated skirt, regardless of the style, does not have to break your bank. Below are just a few of our favorite skirts under $100.
BEAUTIFUL PLEATED SKIRTS WITH PRINTS
In need of a mini or midi skirt with a print? We have you covered with these cute skirt options below.
FAUX LEATHER AND LEATHER PLEATED SKIRTS
I am a big fan of a faux leather or leather pleated skirt. They are the perfect skirts for fall and winter. Need a party outfit for the holiday season? A faux leather skirt would be a great choice. Here are just a few of our favorites.
OUR FAVORITE PLACES TO SHOP FOR PLEATED SKIRTS
Here are just a few of our favorite places to shop for fall and winter fashion – including a great selection of pleated skirts and dresses. Be sure to check these retailers often as they run great sales this time of year.
The beauty of a pleated skirt is its versatility. Whether you’re heading for a brunch, a day at the office, or a night out, there’s a pleated skirt look waiting for you. With so many different lengths, styles, and colors available, there’s a pleated skirt for every body type and occasion.
Always remember, the best outfit ideas come when you mix and match, experiment, and most importantly, wear your outfit with confidence. So, whether you’re going for that street style look or an office chic ensemble, a pleated skirt is always a good idea.
LOOKING FOR OTHER FALL OUTFIT POSTS? HERE ARE JUST A FEW OF OUR FAVORITES:
- 5 Black Pant Outfits To Try This Week
- 80+ Fall Fashion Must Haves Under $100
- 6 Ways to Wear High Waisted Leather Shorts
- 11 Ways To Style Mom Shorts
- 6 Different Looks || How to Wear Your Cute Comfy Lounge Clothes Out of the House